Instagram Introduces IGTV
Is your brand ready for IGTV? Instagram rolled out another major update last week: meet IGTV. What is IGTV? Instagram has now incorporated its very own video content hub that supports videos up to 1 hour in length. What does this mean? Now you won’t have to link out to an external platform such as YouTube or Vimeo for your users to be able to watch the full video. This will keep your users inside the platform where they are more likely to continue engaging with your content.
Here’s a breakdown of everything you need to know about using IGTV for your brand:
How to create your IGTV:
Step 1: Go to your Instagram feed then tap the IGTV logo near the top-right corner of the screen.
Step 2: Tap the gear icon on the right side of the screen.
Step 3: Tap “Create Channel” at the bottom of the screen.
Step 4: You’ll see a brief introduction to IGTV. Tap “Next” on the first and second screens, and then tap “Create Channel” on the third screen. Your channel will be created, and you’ll be able to start uploading videos to this section of the app.
How to access IGTV:
Users will be able to access IGTV directly from their newsfeed, located on the top right next to the messages icon (see left screenshot below), or they can also access it from your profile if you have an Instagram Stories Highlights section (see right screenshot below).
Image Source: Social Media Today
Features & benefits of using IGTV:
- You can directly link IGTV video from your Instagram Stories and also from Direct Messages. This will allow you to drive traffic to your IGTV channel.
- Users will also be able to send each other videos from IGTV via Direct Message.
- Users will be able to follow channels, leave comments and likes on videos.
- You can add a description and title to each video as well as your own thumbnail prior to uploading.
- Insights are available such as views, likes, comments, and average percentage watched.
- You can post videos from 15 seconds to 1 hour in length.
- Videos must be in a vertical format.
Image Source: Social Media Today
How to use IGTV for your brand:
- Create recurring or IGTV exclusive content: Share tips, create a series, host recurring blog content in video form to keep your users engaged and coming back weekly.
- Host educational content: If you constantly share how-to videos, tutorials, or webinars via Live or short clips that link out to a long featured video on your YouTube channel, bring this content to IGTV.
- Interviews & Q&A’s: Conduct interviews and Q&A’s without the concern over interruptions or bad connections via Live.
- Repurpose Content: Extend the life of your Instagram Stories past 24 hours.
Check out Instagram’s full announcement here.
Creative Director Spotlight Series: Kelly Digiesi The next installment of our Creative Director Spotlight series goes to Kelly. As one of our Creative Directors, Kelly is a talented artist with over 20 years experience designing complex projects from concept to...
Happy Birthday Kathy! It's Kathy's birthday today! As a Senior Account Executive at Vision, Kathy loves the challenge of juggling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. A little bit country and a little bit rock ‘n roll, she has led a double life as a...
How to Run a Contest on Facebook in 2018 Running contests on your social media platforms not only can bring you additional followers, but it can also bring more traffic to your website, plus who doesn’t love winning free stuff? Social media has been evolving rapidly...