How To Add Pinterest To Your Company’s Social Media
Add Pinterest to your Company’s Social Media Strategy Today!
Pinterest is one of the most visual social sites around, what makes it a little different is how people use it. Notice, we describe Pinterest as a visual social site rather than a network. Pinterest, while users do follow their friends and see what their friends are sharing, is a social bookmarking site.
On Pinterest, users create pinboards to provide visual bookmarking and/or inspiration. Think of it as that tack board you had that you put up images of a cute outfit or an athlete you aspired to be.
A few things that make Pinterest unique:
- Less is more: people want more and more and more – they want more to look at, more to click on, so sharing more content on Pinterest works to your advantage
- They have an algorithm: Yes, all the heavy hitting social networks now employ algorithms, but these are truly based on the accounts you follow. Facebook, for example, will surface content for a user based on the people with whom they are connected and the pages they follow. A suggestion here or there, yes, but most of the content is based on what you are connected to. Pinterest does an exemplary job of surfacing content based on your true interests, rather than what you are connected to.
- It is 100% visual: Video or photos and that’s it.
- The demographics are unlike any other social site.
The stats you need to know:
- There are 150 Million monthly active users on Pinterest, with 70 Million based in the US
- There are over 50 BILLION pieces of content on the platform
- 2 million Pinterest users save shopping pins on boards daily
- 81% are females.
- Millennials use Pinterest as much as Instagram
- The median age of a Pinterest user is 40, but most active users are under 40
- Half of Pinterest users HHI is over $50k/year with 10% of users having a HHI of over $125k/year
- 87% of Pinners have made a purchase because of Pinterest and 72% of users use the platform to decide what to purchase off line
- 5% of all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest
- Two-thirds of pins represent brands & products, with food, drink and tech among the most popular content
- There are more than 1.7 BILLION recipe-related Pins
We love the idea of using Pinterest to:
- Curate content for your followers, inserting yourself into their every day life and becoming a reliable resource for related content to them. This is especially powerful if you do not have a steady stream of original and/or owned content.
- Share your own original content.
- Identify influencers specific to Pinterest, who can create content on behalf of your brand.
So, how do you start? Don’t worry, we have a few tips:
- Profile your target customer: what does she like, what is she interested in and how can we insert ourselves into that flow of information she wants
- Investigate if your competitors on Pinterest? Why/why not? If not, this could be an exceptional opportunity for your brand.
- What board topics would be most useful? For example, a food brand could start with breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch, holiday, and boards specific for each season.
- Are there restrictions to what we can post? Set up any parameters for your manager, such as checking all shared blog posts from other sources to ensure they do not mention a competitor by name.
- Identify who will oversee the platform.
The best thing to do with Pinterest is to just start! If your target is a female demographic, we would urge you to start tomorrow.
THE POWER OF PRINT In a world of skip buttons and fast-forward icons, print media still has the power to strike curiosity in a reader and breathe life into a page. Moving through an evolution of formats and creative developments, print now acts as a bridge between the...
With today being National Intern Day, we saw it as the perfect opportunity to introduce our summer flight crew additions: Julia, Graydon, and Fletcher. All three bring different skills, fresh insights, and an exciting energy to the agency, and they have experienced...
Reckitt Benckiser Professional (RB Pro) Division Product Brochure Series Vision partnered with RB Pro to develop a new brand identity and positioning for their line of professional products that was to be unveiled at an upcoming trade show. The new positioning was...