Brand Authenticity in the Social Media World
How Can Your Brand Be Authentic on Social Media:
Sometimes it’s easy for businesses to forget to put the SOCIAL in their social media. Think of it as a stage for your brand to really have its own personality. This is where you are constantly engaging with your customers by answering questions, liking comments and providing support that they crave and need. No one wants to talk to a “bot”; they want the human factor now more than ever. Even if you aren’t using a bot you don’t want to risk sounding like one. The same mentality should apply to your content as well. You still want to create content that is on-brand and consistent with your messaging, however, you can also use this as an opportunity to connect with your followers and develop a relationship with them. Ask questions and engage the users so they just don’t scroll on by. Make them stop and appreciate what you’re giving them. Give them what they didn’t know they needed.
Remain relevant with current happenings that can relate back to your brand. Be approachable in your voice to establish trust and legitimacy with your current or potential customers.
What Brands Are Successful at Staying Authentic on Social Media:
Netflix for the win, for well, everything. What started as a new and more convenient alternative to Blockbuster video has now exploded into a media streaming phenomenon with original shows and movies and a top-notch social presence to boot. What does Netflix do on social media that makes it so successful?
1. They never try to sell you anything. Well, at least not directly on Instagram.
- There are no gimmicky sales posts with fake scenarios that consumers know aren’t real. Their imagery does not reflect one of a traditional advertisement.
- Netflix uses Facebook as its platform to showcase movie and show trailers and then Instagram for funny memes and brand awareness.
2. Their voice is the funny best friend you wish you had.
- Mostly on Instagram, reading their captions will make you actually laugh out loud. They’re clever and sound like they’re your friend that you can relate to. They provide their followers entertainment while simultaneously informing them about a new show coming to the service or overlap two shows in one cheeky reference.
3. They post content about relevant social events but relate them back to their shows and/or movies that are currently streaming on their platform.
- Something happens in pop culture and they immediately jump on it. They create timely posts on topics that are already trending but with a fun spin that relates back to them.
Still succeeding as a favorite fast food restaurant serving tasty fried chicken since its small start in 1930, how does KFC remain relevant on social media? First and foremost, you can’t check out their Instagram without your mouth watering. But what has KFC done to continue turning out new engaging content?
1. They have fun with their food.
- The recipe has never changed so to keep things fresh KFC gets creative with their content. No simple beauty shots of their food found here. More like funny edited situational photos, videos, and animations that are overproduced for the pure joy of it. On top of that, they planted this hidden gem on Twitter by following only 11 other accounts: 5 Spice Girls and 6 guys named Herb which was undiscovered until @edgette22 noticed on Twitter and his tweet about it went viral. This little nod to their recipe containing 11 herbs and spices was pure marketing genius. They took things a step further by sending him a painting of him and Colonel Sanders as a reward for finding their hidden marketing gem.
2. The Colonel is not just a mascot.
- The Colonel dominates their social media but he never gets old. With the ever-changing Colonel now being represented by famous actors, comedians, and musicians, this campaign continues to evolve and take on new personalities with each new person. That doesn’t mean the original Colonel is out though. He is still the most featured Colonel with constant fun visuals that truly come to life and stay relevant.
3. They stay relevant with social events and pop culture.
- They keep serving up the fun visuals for holidays, sporting events, seasons and more. They’re always creating something unique and different.
A service connecting real people with amazing living quarters up for grabs for vacation rentals? Sign me up. Often cheaper than the major hotels and resorts while offering more space and privacy for its vacationers, this service has gained popularity as a better choice for travelers. We all love dreaming about vacations and Airbnb capitalizes on that.
1. They use user-generated content.
- What better way to sell a dream vacation than to show real people enjoying their own dream vacations in the places you can rent? No strategically planned professional lighting and lenses to make things bigger than they are. They show their actual customers enjoying their experiences in the most authentic way thus generating a “this could be you” mentality.
2. They create serious FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out).
- The user-generated photos are half of the equation. The other half is all about their voice. Their honest and approachable tone assures you of the reliability of their trusted hosts and upholding standards while setting the scene.
3. They create a sense of community.
- There’s nothing better than getting a good recommendation on a place to stay. Airbnb is like your truth worthy and reliable friend who also happens to connect you to a whole group of people with their reviews and recommendations. We trust our peers and they aren’t afraid to ask their followers questions too. They ensure that their follower’s voices are heard.
THE POWER OF PRINT In a world of skip buttons and fast-forward icons, print media still has the power to strike curiosity in a reader and breathe life into a page. Moving through an evolution of formats and creative developments, print now acts as a bridge between the...
With today being National Intern Day, we saw it as the perfect opportunity to introduce our summer flight crew additions: Julia, Graydon, and Fletcher. All three bring different skills, fresh insights, and an exciting energy to the agency, and they have experienced...
Reckitt Benckiser Professional (RB Pro) Division Product Brochure Series Vision partnered with RB Pro to develop a new brand identity and positioning for their line of professional products that was to be unveiled at an upcoming trade show. The new positioning was...